www.midwestcaferacing.com

Midwest Cafe Racing
It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brake Fluid Change
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:02 am 
Track Day Novice

Hey all, I haven't flushed my brake fluid since I've owned the bike (~1 year) and I have no idea when the previous owner did it. I figured it can't hurt to flush it and get some new stuff in there. I'm going to use dot3/4 since that's what I already have, but I heard not to use old fluid that has been sitting after being opened. Is this true? Should I go buy a brand new bottle to fill?

Also has anyone used DOT 5.1? It's compatible with DOT 3/4 but I don't know if it's worth it at all.

Post subject: Re: Brake Fluid Change
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:11 am 
Gp Racer

I always use what is stamped on the brake reservoir cap. It is a good idea to use an unopened bottle of it as brake fluid attracts moisture and moisture is bad (lowers boiling point). Regarding compatibility I always thought 3 and 4 were incompatible but this page states otherwise and has boiling point information for each type:

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/resou ... ake-fluid/

Todd #84
Chris #74

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:49 am 
Track Day Novice

crash wrote:
I always use what is stamped on the brake reservoir cap. It is a good idea to use an unopened bottle of it as brake fluid attracts moisture and moisture is bad (lowers boiling point). Regarding compatibility I always thought 3 and 4 were incompatible but this page states otherwise and has boiling point information for each type:

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/resou ... ake-fluid/

That's the same website I found, I'm thinking about swapping up to 5.1, incase my brakes light on fire, I should still be able to stop!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:34 pm 
Track Day Novice

Magruder13 wrote:
Hey all, I haven't flushed my brake fluid since I've owned the bike (~1 year) and I have no idea when the previous owner did it. I figured it can't hurt to flush it and get some new stuff in there. I'm going to use dot3/4 since that's what I already have, but I heard not to use old fluid that has been sitting after being opened. Is this true? Should I go buy a brand new bottle to fill?

Also has anyone used DOT 5.1? It's compatible with DOT 3/4 but I don't know if it's worth it at all.

If its not very old youre probably fine, but it does absorb moisture. I buy small bottles so that im not left with some sitting for years.

I would stick with whats on your reservoir cap unless youre buying some anyway. Although if i remember right 5.1 isnt as corrosive if you spill.