www.midwestcaferacing.com

Midwest Cafe Racing
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wow what a weekend!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:06 pm 
Privateer Racer

Just thought I'd get the conversation started. Saturday was the most challenging day I've had with MCRA. I'm sure you all have you own perspective and would like a say in it.

For me it was quite the roller coaster. Didn't sleep but a couple hours all weekend.

I wanted to apologize again to the Lightweight competitors for my schedule debacle. I don't take it lightly and I know how important is to you all. I know how I had an effect on the outcome of the final championships. All the time and money you spent all year and for it to come down that...forgive me. One thing I can promise you is I learned something from it and its going to make me a better director.

We had a lot of new riders from areas we don't normally pull from. I met a lot of great new people and started friendships I know I'll keep for many years to come.

Saturday night I couldn't sleep and found myself walking the paddock and really feeling my responsibility to you all. Kind of like a parent, I (we board members) think of you as family.
I noticed how "vendor village" was set up, the different members that pit together and how you all do that without my help because its just natural for friends and family to get together to have fun sharing this wonderful thing we do together. Yes its a lot of work for us but it really does pay off even when I look back at this past weekend. Even with the bag of shit the track threw at us we still manged to get the event in and made a lot of people happy.

As usual I'm leaving the door open to criticism and critique. Feel free to speak up and vent.

Thank you for letting me do this thing I love to do, it means a lot to me.

Note: I was hoping that after I screwed the pooch Saturday that Todd would stop telling me how great a job I do...apparently it doesn't work that way for him. As usual Todd stepped up and really stood out as one of the best control riders we've ever had. He did more one on one than I've ever seen, pretty much non stop riding and coaching all weekend. He is THE example of what this club is about. IMHO

Thank you for supporting the Roadracing World Action Fund!

Post subject: Re: Wow what a weekend!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:32 pm 
Gp Racer

I have to tell you that Saturday was one of the worst days I've had with MCRA and none of it is any of the staff's fault. Part of it was just me not feeling it and part of it was the debacle with the noise thing. Again, I am very sorry for throwing a tirade over that on Saturday but I really do think we need to get some things worked out before going back, as much fun as that track is! I am so disappointed and sorry that some people came from so far away and paid a premium just to get shut down and sent home without more than a few laps on that awesome track.

Then came Sunday. That had to be one of the funnest days I've ever had. I still wasn't feeling it as far as riding goes so I just control rode in every Intermediate and Novice session. I didn't ride in a single advanced session and didn't race. And that race, WOW!!! I honestly have to say I had more fun watching that than I had all year participating in it. Can you imagine how fun it would have been if we had a P.A. system and a mic in Charles Miller's hand?

But seriously Jim, there may be other people out there that could do as good of a job as you do and would be willing to do it, but I certainly don't know them! And to be honest with you that goes for every one of the staff. You guys really have this stuff down and really know how to polish a turd. :)

Todd #84
Chris #74

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:29 pm 
Track Day Advanced

Nice job Jim !

No worries but like Todd said if NCM don't play ball ( well he did not really say it but)just pass next year.

If 6 riders get sent home including one with stock exhaust the way I heard it then it's just not going to work long term in my mind.

Autobahn is awsome if you can get the full coarse :idea:

Gingerman is awesome all day long :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:51 pm 
Track Day Advanced

Ive waited a couple of days to respond to this thread since I was pretty hot following the outcome of my race on Sunday and I didnt want to say something I didnt mean to some people I care about as friends. However, I do feel like some discussion about a couple things is in order and since you asked for our opinions, I am going to give you mine.

For me, not getting to race on Saturday because of the schedule miscalculation was an acceptable oversight and forgivable. The decision that was made without the racers input to run the Lightweight races on Sunday for double points is not something that I feel like I can forgive, at this point. We hear the club officials telling us all the time about how "this is our club", but I do not feel like that was the case regarding the topic of running the race for double points. I asked that we put it to a vote at the racers meeting between the racers who were involved after I personally talked to several who were against the idea. I was told that I should have brought it up earlier (I did bring it up on Saturday night to Amy and asked that she pass it along to Jim, if needed) and that a decision had already been made that would not be changing. Because of the outcome of the race, I feel like this decision screwed me out of the 250 GT championship. I take full responsibility for not being fast enough to simply get out in the front and pull away. I also take full responsibility for running over the curbing between turns 3 and 4, which caused my chain to pop off of my sprocket. However, had we not run the race for double the points, I would have still won the championship by 1 point, despite my DNF. We got rained out of the Sunday race at Putnam and didnt double the points for the Saturday race, so why did we do it here? Refunds were issued for the Saturday race to the Lightweight racers, so those points should have been out the window.

I come early to every event to help with setup, stay late to help with tear down, help with administering the website/forum, and have recruited several new members to the club (a couple new racers included) and have never really asked for anything in return other than to have my voice heard by the club, when needed. Im sorry to have to say it, but I really felt like the club turned its back on me on Sunday and its going to be something that is difficult to forget.

Enough crying from me. Ive said what I need to say and its not like anything is going to change at this point, anyway. I just want to make sure this is brought up now so it doesnt end up happening to another unlucky person in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:53 am 
Track Day Novice

I completely understand how Adam feels about his situation. I played out the very same deal in my head saturday night after the double point ruling was made. We both talked about it many times saturday evening and then again sunday morning. Of course my situation wasnt as close as in points as his. Though I was worried that this gave others a chance to sign up on sunday and if I had a bad finish cause Im not super fast or have a reliable bike. It would cost me the championship as well.
If the race would have run on saturday it would have given Adam and I the points we needed to at least feel more comfortable going into sundays final main event.
My situation ended up working out in my favor with the grid, and some people being upset and deciding not to sign up.

Then once the grid was posted for sunday and it was the very same as saturday with no one new added. We still raced for double points which would have not mattered to the GTL standings. I do know it really effected Adam though and his effort in the single double points race. I was worried about the very thing that ended up happening to Adam with him having a bad run in the race and then the nail in the coffin with his chain issue. It was really sad passing by him sitting on the back section of the track with his head down. I knew it was all over for him in that moment. I never spoke to Adam ever before at the track at any of our events until saturday as we were the point leaders in our classes.

He later came up to me sunday afternoon to congratulate me, we talked again about the outcome, the double points deal and his misfortune in the race.
We would have rather skipped or shorten lunch and raced a 2-6 lap 10 min race with those who signed up for Saturdays race. Then paid another 65 entry fee for sunday and raced again with those who signed up on sunday. Even if that race would be shorten as well. I also know we have to consider the corner workers getting a lunch break as well.
I do realize time and schedule played a big part in all the choices made. We dont want to take time away from the trackday guys and some thing like this wouldn't have in my opinion. Just effect the time of races making them short sprint races. Also at least once the grid was final and posted put it to a vote with the racers about how we wanted to race for the points in the final race day of the season.

I know Jim felt bad and I know He and Amy did the best job they could with the time they had and the schedule, dealing with the track people as well. Jim has always told me hold my head up, and when its track time put my head down and race to the best that I can for the results that I can get. So while I was in agreement with Adam. I stuck it out and was ready to race to the best that I could even though I could end up losing the championship.

Again my situation worked out and I still ended up being the champion in my class. I know how Adam feels though as the very thing could have happened to me. Thats the cards that were handed out to us and I know everyone cant have a perfect hand. I think he made some good points in his situation and is something to consider going forward.

My only worry now is I hope there isnt a huge snow blizzard in January during the awards banquet time keeping from making the drive from Kansas to celebrate with the MCRA track Family.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:20 am 
Privateer Racer

Adam I feel your pain. I really do and no one has been harder on me than myself. I'm sorry about the way things turned out for you. You are an ideal club member and hope this past weekend doesn't deter you from participating in the future. The club needs guys like you to help it grow and to keep our armature race series legit. I'll be in Columbia this coming Monday and I hope you can find the time to have dinner or beer.

Thank you for your comments BJ. You are indeed an example of what MCRA is all about.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:40 am 
Track Day Advanced

Thanks, Jim! Please dont think that my comments are meant for you and only you, directly. I dont hold anything against you, personally. Thats exactly why I wanted to wait until I was less upset and be careful about what I said and to whom. There are definitely process improvements to be made, I feel, but I dont think that you were out to get me or anything like that. Im also not trying to kick you while you are down as that is not productive or helpful and I knew you felt bad about it on Sunday as I could see it in your face when I was talking to you. The intent of my post was just to make sure that all opinions are heard and considered for the future, nothing more than that.

I believe you have my number and I would be glad to meet you for dinner on Monday if you have time. If you dont have my number, let me know and Ill get it to you. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:00 pm 
Track Day Advanced

Sounds like everyone just needs to come to some kind of agreement as to how this situation and other similar ones will be concistently handled in the future ?

No race short race double points race etc ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:35 pm 
Privateer Racer

Yes the race committee will be meeting soon to review last weekend and review all the suggestions members have made. As well as a variety of other topics. We'll report our findings and or decisions we have made as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:35 pm 
Track Day Novice

Can someone tell me what happened? I wasn't able to make it that weekend and I have no idea what you're talking about! Did they shut you down for the sound meter that was at pit out?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:24 pm 
Track Day Novice

Thanks for kind words Jim.