www.midwestcaferacing.com

Midwest Cafe Racing
It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:52 am 
Track Day Intermediate

Since we have 2 (multi-class) races per day in 2015 I have floated a proposal to consider moving the GT race to the end of the day. Advantages I see include:

1) Riders don't deal with longer mid-day break.
2) Makes working with partner organizations such as at Hallett and Heartland Park easier to schedule
3) Makes lunch less chaotic for GT racers, particularly those who CR. Tire swapping would be less pressured.
4) GT racers get a full day of practice before the race. Less pressure on racers to "learn a track" in 2 sessions with "green track" session #1 and/or tire swap session #3.
5) Race Control only needs to set-up and tear down once per day.

Of course there may be a couple of disadvantages for some people:

1) GT racers might get a later start heading home on Sunday.
2) Back-to-back races if you want to do GT and GTL/ULWT/250.

Thoughts and opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:10 pm 
Gp Racer

Initial thought is that I would vote no for selfish reasons. I am old and don't think I will have enough energy left to race at the end of the day. I LOVE to relax and watch the other great racing that happens in the afternoon. I like being able to be packed up and ready to help with track tear down at the end of the day. Racing at the end of the day is the main reason I didn't get a 250 and race. If you do it please wait at least one more year to do it, then I can just retire. :) But, before I put a definite no vote, what time would you expect the GT race to start in the afternoon. Starting it first might not be all that late.

Todd #84
Chris #74

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:30 pm 
Track Day Advanced

I'm all for it.

This would also allow new clinic graduates the opportunity to race in the GT race the same day they complete the clinic.

Looking at a gateway schedule from last year the GT race could start on Saturday afternoon at 4:15 with the 250 race being at 4:45. This also would give full 20 minute sessions for all sessions both days.

Sunday races could start at 4:00 and 4:30.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:14 pm 
Track Day Intermediate

I'm for it... Steve's reasons are key, and Drew's chime-in regarding clinic riders makes it a plus to run later too, HOWEVER, Todd's comments not only matter as well, but bring up valid cons, for sure... bottom line, I'll do it either way. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:20 pm 
Track Day Intermediate

they tried it several years ago, racers complained about, being tired as a safety issue, tires and everything else racers complain about I've always raced at the end of the day I want everyone to experience it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:41 pm 
Track Day Novice

I vote to leave things as is for these reasons.

1. Back to back races for guys who race more than one class.

2. Having the ability to leave early to get started on the long drive home.

3. Don't some for the GT guys help with the 250 races & vice-versa?

4. Don't the race clinic guys race in the sportsman race which is at the end of the day?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:18 pm 
Track Day Intermediate

rob860, that WAS true before, regarding clinic racers being able to race Sportsman, but Sportsman is no more.
Now, it doesn't affect most of us anymore, if one's plan as a new "graduate", is to start earning points immediately at the start of the season, it's not possible, if the 1st GT race is already in the books... again, it only affects new racers, so it doesn't matter to me so much anymore! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:33 pm 
Track Day Advanced

Put me down for a yes vote.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:38 pm 
Track Day Novice

I like the idea of moving.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:50 pm 
Gp Racer

Speaking of clinic guys being able to race GT on the same day as their mock race. That would be pretty tight no? Will there be time to "graduate" them and talk to them after their race and still have them be ready for the GT race?

Todd #84
Chris #74

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:08 am 
Track Day Intermediate

crash wrote:
Speaking of clinic guys being able to race GT on the same day as their mock race. That would be pretty tight no? Will there be time to "graduate" them and talk to them after their race and still have them be ready for the GT race?

I rolled straight out of my mock race cool down lap onto the grid of GTL for the sighting lap :D It's fine we can make it work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:10 am 
Track Day Advanced

rob860 wrote:
I vote to leave things as is for these reasons.

1. Back to back races for guys who race more than one class.

2. Having the ability to leave early to get started on the long drive home.

3. Don't some for the GT guys help with the 250 races & vice-versa?

4. Don't the race clinic guys race in the sportsman race which is at the end of the day?

I vote lets move the GLT/ULGT/250 race to noon and the GT race in the afternoon so I can leave early!... (not really, think all racing should be at the end of the day)

It's very selfish saying its a con for not being able to leave early.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:24 am 
Gp Racer

That's why I started my post out with "I'm very selfish". :)

Todd #84
Chris #74

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:11 am 
Track Day Advanced

crash wrote:
That's why I started my post out with "I'm very selfish". :)

lol!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:29 am 
Track Day Novice

Before I started racing AMGT I actually enjoyed the "longer" lunch break, and enjoyed watching the races before or while eating lunch. Now that I race in AMGT, I have the afternoon races to be entertained by, but have a shorter lunch which is no big deal to me. I usually just sit out the first afternoon advanced session now that I race. Other than selfish reasons for keeping the schedule the same, I do believe the schedule worked just fine as it was; I suppose Control riders who raced different races could switch sessions to cover each other before or after races, and the races gave a good show for everyone during lunch. Change can be a good thing as long as it works and makes things better for the club as a whole, but keep in mind it will never work for everyone, just as I imagine the current way doesn't work for everyone as much as they would like it to. Is this decision something that would go to a vote or just be handled by the board? After all, us racers have to make this work for the track day riders, because without their registrations we wouldn't have a chance to race and ride track days at the same time like this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:48 pm 
Track Day Advanced

mreed66 wrote:
Before I started racing AMGT I actually enjoyed the "longer" lunch break, and enjoyed watching the races before or while eating lunch. Now that I race in AMGT, I have the afternoon races to be entertained by, but have a shorter lunch which is no big deal to me. I usually just sit out the first afternoon advanced session now that I race. Other than selfish reasons for keeping the schedule the same, I do believe the schedule worked just fine as it was; I suppose Control riders who raced different races could switch sessions to cover each other before or after races, and the races gave a good show for everyone during lunch. Change can be a good thing as long as it works and makes things better for the club as a whole, but keep in mind it will never work for everyone, just as I imagine the current way doesn't work for everyone as much as they would like it to. Is this decision something that would go to a vote or just be handled by the board? After all, us racers have to make this work for the track day riders, because without their registrations we wouldn't have a chance to race and ride track days at the same time like this.

Board would discuss it and vote on it. As a board member when it comes to topics like this I try to act as a representative for the members of the club and what the general consensus is. I still have my own opinions but generally speaking I vote in a direction that is best for the club (safety always comes first) and not just my person opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:27 pm 
Track Day Advanced

Worse we do is try it and get feedback

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:59 pm 
Track Day Intermediate

it's really gonna suck for the riders racing both classes, and it's really not fair for the people that have invested money in the 250 class that will have a exhausted rider in the second race, something like this should be implemented in 2016 not at the last minute

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:12 pm 
Track Day Novice

I would say no, if we're going to run all of the races in the afternoon.
Yes, if GTL/ULGT/250 went at noon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:26 pm 
Track Day Novice

I vote no due to the fact it makes it very difficult for those who want to race both classes. This is especially an issue on days of questionable weather making tire changes or setup hard enough for one bike. Either way, I would like to see the board members make a quick decision, so those who would be affected can make arrangements to race or sell extra bikes.