www.midwestcaferacing.com

Midwest Cafe Racing
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Track Day Coaching?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:19 pm 
Track Day Novice

At the meeting a few of us (sorry I never remember names) were talking about coaching for newer riders or people looking to improve. I love this idea, I would pay for a coach to follow/lead me for a few sessions and help me improve. Before my first track day I had ZERO idea what the heck I was doing, I just learned yesterday that I can clutchless shift, I didn't know this was a thing! I was thinking maybe $40 a session? $10 goes to MCRA and $30 to the coach, so we help pay for stuff and the "coach" would help offset his riding / racing costs.

There are a lot of constraints such as having a full track session, we don't want to crowd the track with coaches. Perhaps have 3 coaches available and once it's filled up then that's it for that session. Also could do 2 different time slots (1st 3rd 5th / 2nd 4th 6th) sessions for the day and the student pays the extra $120 for one day of coaching (3 session). That would earn MCRA $60 a day per coach per time slot.

Thoughts? For coming up with the idea I think I could demo the idea, you know, for research purposes!

Post subject: Re: Track Day Coaching?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:31 pm 
Gp Racer

I guess we don't do a very good job of communicating. We already provide that service for FREE! :) Just come up and ask any one of the control riders for exactly that and we'll give that service to you for nothing! :) I tried to explain that at the riders meetings this weekend but I'm not good in front of a crowd. The control riders are there for exactly that purpose. I sometimes spend 3 or 4 full session working with one single person if they really need the help.

Most of the control riders are pitted in the same area, just come on in and start asking questions. All of the control riders are experienced racers with a lot of knowledge to pass along, and they love to help people out. Don't be afraid to ask basic questions. This isn't meant just for you but for anyone reading. I mentioned in the riders meeting that I don't like to go up to people and start giving them riding tips because sometimes people don't want help and giving help to people who don't want help is very annoying. :) Would love to figure out how to get people help that want it but are afraid to seek it.

Last year at NCM, there was a young lady who went out on the track for the first time and was extremely intimidated. She was going to give up after the first session and she was afraid to ask for help. Luckily she was pitted with someone who came and asked if someone could help her out. I spent a few sessions leading her around and she ended up having a great time.

Todd #84
Chris #74

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:22 am 
Track Day Advanced

Adam Albert originally brought this idea to me back in June. It has been discussed with a few board members but we haven't come up with a good solution mainly because like Todd said this is already available free of charge.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:33 am 
Track Day Novice

You know you're with the right group of people when you tell them you'll give them money and they want to do it for free! I didn't want to bother the control riders because I thought their sole purpose is to monitor everyone and make sure we're all safe and not watch me flop around the track.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:44 am 
Gp Racer

The control riders do both and in fact other orgs call them "coaches" rather than control riders but they are the same thing. Maybe we should change the name of our people to "coach" as well so as to give the impression that we're there to help and not just to police. Obviously we still keep an eye out for safety issues and not all of the CR/coaches are doing 1 on 1 at any given time.

Todd #84
Chris #74

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 am 
Track Day Advanced

crash wrote:
Maybe we should change the name of our people to "coach" as well so as to give the impression that we're there to help and not just to police.

I think this is a great idea. Perception is huge and we definitely want to seem like we are as welcoming/willing to help, as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:33 pm 
Track Day Novice

green_bread wrote:
crash wrote:
Maybe we should change the name of our people to "coach" as well so as to give the impression that we're there to help and not just to police.

I think this is a great idea. Perception is huge and we definitely want to seem like we are as welcoming/willing to help, as possible.

I agree as well. I would be more than happy to help next year if more coaches are needed.

2009 R6 #44
Country Financial (insurance guy)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:41 pm 
Gp Racer

Thanks Kyle, I'll pass that along to Paulie if he doesn't happen to see this. I'll also bring the idea of changing our names to coach rather than control rider to Paulie and the board. Seems to make a lot of sense and hopefully they would agree.

Todd #84
Chris #74

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:00 am 
Track Day Advanced

T- shirts that say coach sounds like a good idea to me ?

Jim bringing it up in the riders meeting seems like a good plan too ?- seems like lead control riders (coaches) change from time to time and may not get the memo.