www.midwestcaferacing.com

Midwest Cafe Racing
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hallett
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:41 am 
Track Day Novice

I finally got another sport bike after a couple years with my supermoto. I'm trying to get back to the track with MCRA this season. I noticed that Hallett is on the schedule. I watched some youtube vids and it looks like a fairly fast track with some abrupt corners. Minor elevation changes. From the video, the pavement looked like it might be a bit bumpy on the corners.
Just looking for some insight on how fun the track is. For reference, out of the tracks that I have been to, my favorite tracks are Grattan and Putnam.

Post subject: Re: Hallett
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:06 pm 
Track Day Advanced

Hey man! Good to see you back around these parts!

Hallett actually has a pretty decent track surface. Its way better than Gateway, thats for damn sure! They just repaved most of the track surface back in 2014, I think. There are some patches and a couple spots where there are still some bumps, but they are pretty easily avoided. Also, the videos on YouTube can be deceiving with the elevation change. Hallett's changes in elevation arent HUGE, but they are definitely enough to keep things interesting with blind corners/hills, etc.

Ill put it this way: If you didnt have a problem with the bumps at Putnam, then you wont have any issues at Hallett.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:07 pm 
Track Day Novice

On my 250, the secret to putnam was running flat tires to take the chatter out of turn 3-4. I'm hoping to make it in April though. I just like the flow of that track. Looks like you got a 390? I almost bought one of those till my buddy told me he was selling his zx6r. At least when you were faster than me on the 250, it wasn't so embarrassing. Now I will just have to "forget" my transponder.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:21 am 
Track Day Advanced

Yeah.. I had a 390 for a street bike when I was still racing your old 250 back in 2015, then we did away with the 250 class for 2016 so I sold the 250 and built the 390. Its crazy how much faster we were going on the 300s/390s last year. Alex and I were typically about 5 sec a lap faster than our previous bests and we both got in to the mid/low 12's at Gateway, which is pretty nuts.

Putnam has also just put down a new track surface and people are reporting that its much smoother than it used to be. We ran some low 20's there, last year. Im gonna try to shoot for at least low 19s, if not 18s. this year. Should be a lot of fun!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:22 pm 
Track Day Novice

REPAVED!?!?!?!?! I am going to have to sell my soul to make April then. I'm still getting used to the 600 though. My old z1000 had a pretty smooth powerband and the 250 had no power. I was riding 47 out by St. Clair today and spun up the rear tire on accident. Luckily it just tightened my corner, but I am realizing that this bike has a lot to teach me. I was thinking of signing up beginner just to get used to the bike, but then I feel like I am being overly cautious.