www.midwestcaferacing.com

Midwest Cafe Racing
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from SW Indiana
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:23 pm 
Track Day Novice

Hello all! My names Chris I'm 29 and I'll be doing my first track day at Putnum on sunday July 3rd. I've rode motorcycles my entire life and this is going to be a dream come true for me. I look forward to learning and advancing my skills!

I'll be honest I'm a little nervous, but not for riding the track it's self. Mainly nervous about days leading up to it and making sure my bike is ready. I'll have fresh tires and brakes of course and everything will be adjusted well. Since its my first time I really dont know what to expect though, Im going to be as early as possible and I assume I just pop up my canopy wherever I can find a spot?

I did have a few questions. Forgive me if they are rookie questions. And I have read over the rules a lot, and some of my questions have been answered already but I just like to hear it first hand, Lol.

Where does everybody get the typical black/yellow numbers? it seems everybody is using the same ones. theres plenty of places online to order, is there a specific spot everybody gets them?

How exactly does the order of inspection go? is it basically just get in line and the tech will go in order?

Wheel weights that are mounted with the adhesive are ok?

Since I will obviously be in the Novice class, safety wiring my plugs and filter is not necessary correct? Should I do it anyways? Do most people in novice do it just because its better/safer for everybody? I can and will if other people feel its a good idea.

and Lastly, if I wanted to use zipties on my fairings instead of the bolts, is that ok?

I think I got everything lined out for the most part, but thats the only reason Im nervous is I miss something dumb and end up having to rush to fix or change something. I do intend to bring extra fluids and tools, zipties, safety wire etc, that way I am prepared if something is needed.

Anyways thanks for the help in advance, everybody has been very helpful so far with the process and if everything goes ok with this, I may consider attending as many of the MCRA trackdays as I can.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:48 am 
Track Day Advanced

Ill do my best to answer your questions. :-)

Quote:
...I assume I just pop up my canopy wherever I can find a spot?

Exactly. Unfortunately, Putnam does not allow us to show up on Friday night and set up our paddock spaces, so youll want to show up pretty early on Saturday and get in to the line of cars waiting to get in. Theres usually plenty of space for everyone, though, so dont worry about not getting a spot if youre not the first one in line.

Quote:
Where does everybody get the typical black/yellow numbers? it seems everybody is using the same ones. theres plenty of places online to order, is there a specific spot everybody gets them?

There are a couple of vendors that most people are going through. Personally, I like Collins Customs as they provide a great product at a very reasonable price. You can contact DCMoney on here as he is the owner of that business. A lot of other people also like Alpha1 Vinyl Works as they are able to provide more unique/custom plates and designs. I dont think you can go wrong with either.

Quote:
How exactly does the order of inspection go? is it basically just get in line and the tech will go in order?

Yep. Tech is usually held in garage 1 at Putnam. Youll want to go to Registration first and put your sticker on your bike/zip tie on your suit before going to tech. Be sure to bring your gear to tech, as well.

Quote:
Wheel weights that are mounted with the adhesive are ok?

They are ok. Most people will use tape over them, just to make sure they dont come flying off.

Quote:
Since I will obviously be in the Novice class, safety wiring my plugs and filter is not necessary correct? Should I do it anyways? Do most people in novice do it just because its better/safer for everybody? I can and will if other people feel its a good idea.

I know that I went ahead and did it when I was still riding in Novice. As you said, its not required, but it never hurts to be safe. I know that I never wanted to be the guy who had his drain plug back off and cost everyone a bunch of time while it was being cleaned up. If you think there is any chance that you might want to bump up to Intermediate during the weekend, youll definitely want to go ahead and get it done since youll have to re-tech to bump classes.

Quote:
Lastly, if I wanted to use zipties on my fairings instead of the bolts, is that ok?

Ill defer to the tech inspector for the "official" answer on this, but I would personally say no. Using zip ties here or there is ok, but you dont want your bodywork only being held on by zip ties. For instance, on my 250, I used zip ties to fasten the upper part of the fairing to the fairing stay so that they could break in the event of a crash and would hopefully help to save the bodywork a little bit, but I used bolts on the rest of the mounting locations and tail section, then used DZUS fasteners to hold the bellypan to the upper.

Dont stress TOO much about forgetting something. I can tell you from experience that if you do, people are usually willing to lend you a tool or a hand to help you out. I get that you dont want to RELY on other people for those things, for sure. Im just saying, dont stress yourself out about it. It sounds like youve got a pretty decent understanding of things for never having been to a track day.

Lastly, be sure to utilize the coaches that will be available to you. Whether its questions about things on track or off track, we are there to help you out. I believe the coaches will have a garage near tech and you can identify us by the bright yellow coach shirts we wear. Feel free to post any additional questions you might have back here, as well. I remember what it was like going to my first track day and it can be kind of intimidating. It doesnt have to be, though. Im sure youll come to find, the same as I did, that MCRA is like a family and for the most part, we all have each others backs. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:36 am 
Track Day Novice

From another newbies perspective everything here is spot on except one thing!

green_bread wrote:
Quote:
...I assume I just pop up my canopy wherever I can find a spot?

Exactly. Unfortunately, Putnam does not allow us to show up on Friday night and set up our paddock spaces, so youll want to show up pretty early on Saturday and get in to the line of cars waiting to get in. Theres usually plenty of space for everyone, though, so dont worry about not getting a spot if youre not the first one in line.

He said he's coming on Sunday which means he's welcome to come set up on Saturday if he wishes. If you come early enough on Sat you can watch the races and talk to everyone and get an idea for how everything flows. If you just want to drive down for the day and don't want to spend money on a hotel then get there ASAP on Sunday to set up, register, and tech. The last event I did was Putnam in April and Sunday was much less busy than Saturday and for the novice group I think the last session only had 4 of us actually riding in it which was really nice!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:57 am 
Track Day Advanced

Good catch, Chris! Great advice there, as well!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:23 pm 
Track Day Novice

I would also add that while it is understandable to be a little nervous, you're taking proper precautions. However, bring some extra cash with you, or at least a card you don't mind using (I'm picky and tend to only use a credit card when traveling). I say this because there are several vendors at all MCRA events. In the event that you do need something, chances are they, or another rider can get you fixed up. I've ridden with MCRA for a few years now and somewhat unexpectedly had to get a set of tire warmers from Dre at Powersports Stuff. He takes credit, but a fellow rider may not.

Make yourself a checklist prior to packing everything....I forgot my boots at home last month.

Lastly, it is awesome that you're joining us, and get ready....once the bug bites, it bites hard.

See ya' in tech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:45 am 
Track Day Novice

Thank you all for the responses! I'm sorry it took me awhile to get back on here, I totally forgot I made this post.

Pretty much all my questions were answered and have made this whole thin a lot easier. Again, thanks so much! Everybody seems really friendly at MCRA. :)

@Magruder13 Id really love to come Saturday and setup! The only thing is I will be having a family reuinion that day and may not be finished until even time(5 or6pm). Am I still ok to come setup? Is there a closing time for the track? Also, Although Ill need to unload my bike, setup canopy, and go over everything with the bike one last time before tech, I dont feel like Ill have a ton of stuff to do. I planned to be very prepared and Ive already started getting little things out of the way... and I originally planned on being there very early Sunday cause I only live 20minutes away. Another thing is, I always weary leaving my stuff unattended.. Especially if it was my bike and all my stuff overnight 20 minutes from me. I know that may sound like Im being paranoid but I had a motorcycle stolen before, along with other stuff.. :(

Anyways, sorryu for all the questions and such.. I'm so excited for this. Its a dream come true and I already plan to do many more trackdays. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:41 am 
Track Day Novice

Not positive on gates closed time, but I believe its 6pm. If you have your bike all ready when you get there, the morning will go smooth. Don't stress on getting your canopy up first thing. Just get registered and bike/gear teched. Then get your pit setup. Riders meeting at 815 will explain a lot of the day. Novice is the last group on track, so that gives you until 940 before riding. As has been stated, use the resource of the coaches. That's why they are there. When on track follow their lines and mimic them to the best of your ability. Ask questions, (lines, schedule, riding techniques) no matter how basic you think they are. We've all been there at some point. If there is one thing true about coaches, the love for all things track runs deep; sharing that passion is as fulfilling, in a different way, as riding!! Breathe and have fun!!!!! Welcome to the addiction!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:07 pm 
Track Day Novice

@gsxr1000man Right on thanks man! I will definitely be humble and take any advice or tips I can get. And thanks to everybody who has responded and helped this process out for me!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:49 pm 
Track Day Advanced

gsxr1000man wrote:
If there is one thing true about coaches, the love for all things track runs deep; sharing that passion is as fulfilling, in a different way, as riding!!

Man, that is so true. I knew I would like being a coach, but I didnt realize just how rewarding it is to see the look on peoples faces and feel their excitement as they improve. It really is just as rewarding as setting personal bests, for me. I love it!

As far as the gates closed time, I think its actually 6:30 (but dont quote me on that) if I recall from the April event. They are pretty strict about everyone getting out of there by that time, though.

Every time Ive been to Putnam, Ive left my bike out underneath my canopy all night and didnt have any concerns.