www.midwestcaferacing.com

Midwest Cafe Racing
It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:58 am 
Track Day Intermediate

Just wait. The bickering will come soon enough. This is exactly how the "discussion" started when the 250 program was established and running well, then we decided to bring up the idea of changing it. The thread turned into a shit show, MCRA looked unorganized, and the grid size is smaller now than it was before. I was even forced to purchase a rather expensive tool to measure the bore/stroke of an engine without tearing it down when we had to deal with protests. Guess what....it was never used....even when most people knew (or had strong reason to believe) there was an illegal engine out on the track. We're a bit of a joke in several circles because of our constant rule changes (although I disagree most of the time with said circles, they're right on point about our history of rule changes). The Groms are a fundraising effort. There is no time in the schedule to make it a legitimate race with proper gridding procedures and they are entirely to slow to make them a second wave in ULGT (not to mention several of our biggest Grom proponents are ULGT racers currently). The same could be said for allowing them in the track day sessions as well - they're too slow to be safe.

Adam copied an existing rule book to give us a little structure for the FUNDRAISER. It works great and the Grom riders are happy. I haven't a clue why someone would worry about building a Grom to some kind of spec for a fundraiser. Run what you brung and find someone to battle with. Fun is the name of the Grom game. It's "Sunday Funday" not "Sunday Grom Race Day".

Buell 1125r #598 (Buella)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 am 
Gp Racer

All points worth noting, although players have changed.

Todd #84
Chris #74

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:25 pm 
Track Day Novice

I don't see a need to discuss others items about groms/z125 at all outside of what the rules say. CMRA doesn't do any of that crap so why add the headache and take away the fun by ruining it by turning it into a blood thirsty money pit that will adventually turn away other grom/z riders due to it being a horse and pony show. The 250 stayed tight was was great racing due to the bikes being basically the same. The fall of them was people trying to change rules by adding engine parts and etc. GTL is boring because when people do sign up its usually a blow out with one guy a front stretch ahead. ULGT is getting scarce and you only see two or so people battle because the amount of money those bikes take to build you can jump and get a 600. After about 6 laps it's boring and isn't as much fun when the pack turns into a lapping day. So after all that non sense just stick to the grom rules, have fun with the bros me race till you are tired and reward yourself with a beer. If you want to get into deep grom racing then enter into the grom series that race of go cart tracks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:29 am 
Track Day Advanced

I want to make it clear that I am personally open to all discussion around any subject that could help improve the club/make things better. If we cant discuss these things, how are we going to grow and get better? The key is keeping the discussion professional and not getting personal, which I dont think anyone has, here. That being said, I do think that the rules are pretty darn good for at least getting this "Funday" off the ground.

Nothing wrong with the discussion, at all, I just dont think we are going to be able to say with certainty that X or Y change to the current rules is greatly going to improve things until we actually get some more people out there and see if there are "issues" that need to be addressed. As it was in Hallett, I thought everything surrounding the Grom Funday Race went really well and smooth and it seemed like everyone that was there enjoyed it and was excited about it.

About allowing Groms in track day sessions - we actually did this at Hallett in the final Novice session of the day and it worked out pretty darn well, I think, but it was because of a couple specific things:

1. It was the end of the day on Sunday and there were less riders on track, so there was PLENTY of open space. To be honest, I think Cameron and I only got passed once by a couple of the other riders on track at that time. It wasnt like they were lapping us every lap or anything. Most of the other riders we didnt even see.

2. We stayed off the "fast line" down the straights. As we were instructed, we needed to stay to the left part of the track down the straight aways. This was no problem for the Groms because you're going so slow coming out of the corners that you really dont have to swing it out wide.

Do I think we should allow Groms/Z125s in ALL track day sessions? No effin way. BUT, if we keep doing the Grom Funday at the end of the day on Sunday (I actually really like this... I didnt think I would but it makes sense for several reasons that I will go in to if you guys want me to) and there are only a few other riders on track in the final Novice session of the day, I dont see it being too much of an issue, honestly. Keep in mind that these will be licensed racers on the mini bikes during these sessions so I dont think anyone is gonna be swinging all over the track or anything and at Gateway specifically, the straightaway/T1 is the only area that I see a big speed differential between the minis and bigger bikes.

Just my two pennies.... hopefully it stirs the pot! Haha!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:44 am 
Track Day Intermediate

I made the decision to allow minis in during the last novice practice session after consulting with other track and club officials. I did so with these factors in mind:

1) Track density, we had less than 10 Novice riders on track by that point and only 3 minis. A few of them had bumped down from intermediate so had good track experience.
2) I individually talked to each Novice and explained the situation in advance. I did not receive any negative feedback from those club members.
3) I told everyone, minis and regulars alike, about how the minis would stay on the other side of the racing line on straights and all minis were being piloted by experienced, race licensed riders. Passing rules stayed the same, on straights.
4) Lap times. I was hoping the lap times would not be far different and the faster minis kept lap times just under 2 minutes on a track with ~ 1:30-2 minute novice lap times. Thus, the combination of 1,2, and 3 minimized the chances of frequent interaction. The lap time/speed differences were not significantly different from what we've normally seen in Novice.

Mostly everyone followed the rules and I think overall it was a good experience. My recommendation for the future would be the addition of Orange shirts for mini riders, if those above factors fell in place where in the judgement of officials it was safe to allow the minis in. Orange shirts would allow easy identification of riders on track of the minis and differentiate from the green shirts of coaches.

I also like the end of day format, as it might allow for a practice and does not interfere with existing activities.