www.midwestcaferacing.com

Midwest Cafe Racing
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help on Riding Form
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:58 pm 
Track Day Novice

I recently went to my first track day with MCRA at putnam, and throughout the day i was becoming more confident. I ended up scrapping my toe on the bus stop corner, which suprised me. I took a look at the photos and it looks like i need to be hanging off more, but another thing that im worried about is my boots. I have larger calfs, so i have a bit longer boots than they should be. As a result ill be on the balls of my feet, but my boot will extend about 2 inches from the peg.

Will this prevent me from gettin a knee down with proper form, or should hanging off the bike more do the trick?

Here is a link to a sample picture of my form:

http://www.abi-photo.com/p88049889/ha493a18#ha493a18

Post subject: Re: Help on Riding Form
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:13 pm 
Gp Racer

Nice bike! Are you coming to Gateway next month? We would be happy to help you out. But yeah, you should keep your inside foot back and have your foot in line with your thigh when you have your knee out. There are actually a few good examples in some of the pictures next to the one you pointed out where you can see how the riders have their inside foot way back on the peg. Your outside foot will be farther forward on the peg. Also, I assume you have stock rearsets on. With aftermarket rearsets you can raise them up and moved them back.

Todd #84
Chris #74

Post subject: Re: Help on Riding Form
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:13 am 
Track Day Intermediate

Rest assured your body shape won't keep you from being able to go fast, scrape knees, and rise to whatever level of amateur track days and/or racing you want.

Keep your inside foot tucked all the way in against the plate, foot pegs on the balls of your feet. Yes aftermarket rear sets will help as will getting more of your weight off center. When I first started on track my boots scraped and I was worried about the same thing. Just keeping them tucked all the way in was the trick..a conscious effort at first but now second nature.

Like Todd said, any control rider or school instructor will be happy to help you out.